What Is Higher Certificate In Education At Unisa 2023
What Is Higher Certificate Modules In Education At Unisa 2023
The College of Education at Unisa currently offers the Higher Certificate in Education as an access route for students into the Bachelor of Education (BEd). This assists students to meet the entry requirements for the BEd such as the Mathematics and Language admission requirement that is needed. For BEd Senior and FET Phase, there might be additional discipline-specific requirements.
This Higher Certificate in Education is the only Higher Certificate articulating into the UNISA Bachelor of Education Foundation and Intermediate phase qualifications. Students who completed the Higher Certificate in Education prior to the stream will still be considered for admission into the Bachelor of Education.
For the Foundation Phase and Intermediate Phase access, students must have MTE1501 or Matric Mathematics. Students should note that these are year modules except AFL1501, BPT1501 and EUP1501 and should be registered at the beginning of the year.
The purpose of this qualification is to provide access, with a reasonable chance of success, to candidates with potential who otherwise would not meet the new minimum entry requirements. The curriculum is aimed at providing these students with the necessary basic skills to succeed within the Open Distance Learning (ODeL) environment and also some articulation into first-year undergraduate Degree/Diploma qualifications offered.
The purpose of the learning therefore will be to enhance generic competencies within ODeL such as basic language and learning skills, information management skills and teaching skills, as well as some elective subject knowledge.
What Is Higher Certificate In Education At Unisa 2023
Higher Certificate in Education
|Qualification stream:||Foundation Phase and Intermediate Phase|
|Qualification code:||90093 – FIP|
Higher Certificate In Education At Unisa 2023 Admission Requirements
Your admission to Unisa is dependent on you meeting the specific admission requirements for your chosen qualification:
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) with at least 40% in the language of teaching and learning,
- a Senior Certificate (SC) with at least an F symbol on HG or an E symbol on SG in the language of teaching and learning,
- a National Certificate (Vocational) Level 4 with an equivalent of at least 40% in the language of teaching and learning in terms of the NSC.
When Can You Apply For Higher Certificate In Education At Unisa 2023
Applications for admission to Unisa’s undergraduate qualifications (higher certificates, advanced certificates, diplomas, advanced diplomas & degrees) will be open from 1st September 2022 to 14th October 2022.
Can You Teach With Higher Certificate In Education
The Higher Certificate in Education is an access route for students into the Bachelor of Education (BEd). If you have enrolled for a Higher Certificate in ABET and you want to become a teacher, you can enrol for a BA and thereafter, a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (Senior and FET Phase).
Who Can Register For Higher Certificate In Education At Unisa
- Applicants may only register once they have received confirmation from Unisa that their application for admission has been accepted. Unisa reserves the right to not process and/or cancel your registration if it is found that you were incorrectly admitted to a qualification. Admission to the alternative qualification is not automatic. It will depend on whether you comply with admission requirements and if space is available.
- Re-registering students may register for the 2023 academic year once the registration period opens.
Each Unisa qualification is structured in such a way that you need to pass a certain number of NQF level credits within a certain amount of time in order to graduate.
- Co-requisite: Module A is a co-requisite for Module B. You want to register for Module B, but have not yet passed Module A. You must then register for both Modules A and B simultaneously. You may NOT cancel your registration for Module A unless Module B is also cancelled.
- Pre-requisite: If Module A is a pre-requisite for Module B, you must pass Module A before you may register for Module B.
You may not register for more than the allowed maximum number of credits/modules per academic year and/or semester: 60 credits per semester or 120 credits per academic year.
The maximum number of credits does not include supplementary and/or aegrotat examinations from a previous semester. Modules taken for non-degree / non-diploma purposes also count towards the maximum number of credits allowed.
You must take your available time into consideration when choosing your modules, as this will impact your academic performance. You need approximately
- 6 to 8 hours per week for semester modules.
- 4 to 6 hours per week for year modules.
What Is Higher Certificate In Education Modules At Unisa 2023
In choosing a module for the higher certificate in education at Unisa 2023, applicants should bare in mind that, all modules in Group A are compulsory, and ONE module needs to be selected from Group B. Below are the various modules available:
|Group B. Choose ONE module from below|
|ATH1501 – Art and Handwork|
|GCS1501 – Guidance, Counselling and Life Skills Development|
|GRT1501 – Introduction to Grade R Teaching|
|IED1501 – Introduction to Environmental Education|